You have listened to so many concerts. Each time you enjoy listening to the first few phrases of a piece and take immense pleasure in identifying the raga.
Many rasikas have been at a loss sometimes and have expressed their inability to guess the correct raga name. Mr. Chari of the TAG group of companies and Vice President, Music Academy, Madras, has made a concerted effort in this direction. He has compiled a lot of raga information, songs, snippets in cds and there are many rasikas who have heard these and benefitted from this endeavor.
To challenge the rasikas a new event is being organised. Can ragas be identified by a person through sheer listening and an intuitive understanding rather than spelling out the grammar of the notes? It is up to the interested rasikas to find out in a fun-filled way. Here is your chance to listen to some more music and identify the correct raga.
The Music Academy - Tag Raga Identification Competition for rasikas has been jointly organised by Music Academy and the Tag Corporation & Ramu Endowments especially for “Carnatic Music Rasikas”.
Why this event promises to be interesting:
- The first of its kind
- Open to all ages (performing musicians and students of music do not qualify to participate in the event) There will be two age groups depending on number of participants
- Below 25 years as of 1st October 2016
- Above 25 years
- Each contestant will be alone... No teams!!
- Winners first second and third categories will receive cash award of Rs. 5000, Rs.3000 and Rs. 2000 respectively.
- The cash awards will be given immediately after the event. Certificates will be posted in a week’s time.
How to register:
- Provide your name, age, e-mail address and phone number to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. Further details will be given to the participants in the beginning of September
- Date of Competition- 16th October, 2016 ( Earlier date of 18th September stands postponed. )
- Time- 10 a.m. Registration 9 a.m.
- Venue - Music Academy
- Last Date for Registration- 1st October, 2016
Dr. Sumathi Krishnan